Monday, October 4, 2010

The Sex At The Right Moment Incident

A little less than 4 years ago, 17 women and their husbands had sex. Some purposefully planned it, some were drunk from holiday parties, some were just being nice. But, all 17 of these women's eggs were fertilized by their husbands' super swimmer spermy guys. And all 17 of these women conceived a child.

Each woman had a different background than the other. All were from different walks of life with stories that made them each unique. But, because they all happened to have sex at just the right moment, they were given the opportunity to use the common thread of pregnancy to become friends.
Ok, yeah, it was through the Internet, but still. Friends. Friends who know everything about each other. EVERYTHING.
They know who is still in love with their husband, and who is simply living with a roommate. They know who is on what meds, and what their natural hair colors are. They know who has struggled with their weights, depression, anxiety, meds, and alcohol abuse. They know who has started new jobs, started school, or started trainings. They know who spends their weekends cooking, who spends their weekends working, and who spends their weekends at soccer games and ballet recitals. They know who lacks bladder control, who hasn't had sex in 18 months, and who has had sex on the hood of their car. They know whose children are reading War and Peace, and whose children are barely talking. They know who gets regular pedicures and who hasn't showered in days.
See? EVERYTHING.
They have celebrated each other's birthdays, their babies' birthdays, and new pregnancies. They have mourned cancer, sickness, and death. They have offered potty training advice, day care advice, school advice, eating advice, cooking advice, shopping advice, outfit advice, hair advice, husband advice, sex advice.....the list is endless.
Their friendships have spanned thousands of miles, thousands of texts, and hundreds of phone calls and cards. Their friendships have spanned countless hours of typing on keyboards, viewing each others pictures, and imagining the voices behind the written words on a computer monitor.
Because of the common thread of having had sex with their husbands at just the right time, some of these women had the opportunity to unite this past weekend, hear the voices in person, and experience the exhilaration of inhaling common air. Because these women had sex at just the moment, 12 of them got to share meals, share drinks, share cupcakes, share cookies, share stories, share embraces, share laughter (LOTS of laughter) and share tears (and dearly miss the 5 would couldn't join). Shared experiences can be powerful. Experiences shared with the women who know everything about you? Precious.
I am so incredibly fortunate to be one of these women. Because of them, I'll never walk alone.




And am so incredibly tempted to share some of the complete debauchery that we were engaged in this weekend. However, it would be a violation of trust to do so.


Instead, I leave you with pictures of the aftermath. And no, I did not stage these.










Oh hells yeah, it was a fabulous weekend.


13 comments:

Leigh said...

Right on. Love you.

MommaKiss said...

Bawling. Jaysus I love you. That was beautiful. I miss your face. And your cooking. And your face.

Val said...

I love you.

That was so perfectly written!

Leslie said...

You have such a way with words. I want to share this!! It must be the cover of the picture book :) Glad my purchases live in infamy now!!!

Leslie said...

You have such a way with words. I want to share this!! It must be the cover of the picture book :) Glad my purchases live in infamy now!!!

Kerstin said...

aw jeeezus, you've got me bawling too. Love you guys. so well written Ali

Melissa said...

oh my, you have got me bailing too... thank you all for being my friends.. for planning it all! I love you guys so much. well said Ali.

Momma Ski said...

The tears are flowing. Love you.

Jackie said...

Dearly hope I can make it next year!

Jen said...

I came over from MommaKiss and I just had to say that what you guys have is really, really special. Of course you know that but I needed to tell you anyway.

Also, I am a little jealous of your close knit group. Wonder if the friends I pay would allow us to be that close. ;)

Alison said...

Awwwwww!!

Jessica said...

how totally wonderful! where did you all find each other?

Alexandra said...

Came from Mammakiss's love for you. How blessed you are to have such wonderful, real women in your life.

You are very lucky, people like this are hard to find in a lifetime.