We went away for the 4th. My parents have an amazing house on the beach in this dinky little town on the central coast of California. It's a great place to be, especially when my parents are there because they buy the food, do most of the cooking, and most of the cleaning.
They were not there this weekend.
So guess how relaxing MY 'vacation' was?
I was the first one up (well, after the kiddo) each morning. I either cooked, cleaned, or did both for every meal. I carried the kid during the massive amounts of walking we did to the parade and sand castles (he is scared of sand. don't ask. we don't get it either). When I bathed, I had him with me (even though he's scared of sand, he still gets covered in it. don't ask. we don't get it either).
I carried the kid here.
And Here
I did manage to eat a lot of junk though, so felt like this...
While other people in the house lounged around outside or played video games, I got to pick up thousands of bottle caps (does NO ONE know how to throw them away after opening a beer? SERIOUSLY?) and put away the dishes I had washed.
After fireworks, we made s'mores. While everyone else played a game, I roasted the marshmallows, made the s'more, and passed it off to whoever wanted it. So saying WE made s'mores is incorrect. I made them, they ate them.
I brought with me on this little trip 2 books, a movie I've been wanting to watch, and a photo album I wanted to finish. I never even opened the bag those things resided in.
On the way home on Monday, we had to stop by my inlaws. We had agreed to come by for an hour for lunch. After sitting through 30 minutes of their cruise pictures (you've seen one Roman ruin, you've seen them all, but yet they still took SEVERAL pictures of each broken column they encountered), they then go and START lunch. And at some point I was given a piece of cake in front of my son. Who of course is allergic to it, so couldn't have any, and threw a fit. What did they think would happen? Oh, and did I mention he didn't get a nap 2 days in a row? Yeah, Monday was a FUN day. And because our hour stop at my in laws was really 2.5 hours, we got stuck in super fun holiday traffic on the way home.
The ONE THING I wanted to do on my 'vacation' (besides crack open a book or watch a movie) was stop by a produce stand on the way home and stock up on local goods. Do you think I did that? Nope. Traffic and the longer-than-anticipated stay at the inlaws prevented that.
So now, we're home. I have the mountains of laundry, the fine layer of sand on my floor, and the empty fridge to prove it. I so need a vacation from my vacation.

4 comments:
Oh the fun of a vacation with a kid (and husband). It's not a vacation anymore, it's just a trip. Sorry it wasn't relaxing - did you at least get a tan from being outside? Also, stop by my blog later because I just awarded you with the Blog of Substance award!
I think your brothers AND their girlfriends are assholes for not helping you. Or the husband? Why couldn't he carry the kid? Not to mention the inlaws - do they KNOW your kid has allergies?
I'm pissed for you. And sending you a box of wine.
Vacations with kids suck :( No matter where ya go or what you do. Unless you vacation without them and then you just miss them. But only after you've gotten a full night of sleep :p Sorry girl :(
Oh, that sounds like how my "vacations" go. Every time I come home from one I want to go away by myself and sleep for a few days! BTW I awarded you the Fabulous Sugar Doll award, not really sure why they call it that but I enjoy your blog and thought you should get it too!
Post a Comment