Thursday, September 16, 2010

The Cover Up Incident

So, my skin? It's bad. Like baaaaaad. Like, I have no right leaving the house bad.

But, seeing as how I have to do shit like earn a living (damn that job thing), I have to leave the house. Therefore, my tube of cover up and I have a very close, personal relationship. I bring it EVERYWHERE. Except maybe in the shower. Cuz really, talk about antiproductivity.

A few days ago, I lost it. I searched through all my makeup, my purse, my workout bag, my desk at work, my pockets, everything. Gone. Although I did find some playdough, hair clips, wayward Kix, and a purple pen. All of which pretty much suck at covering my multitudes of flaws. So I've been using my back-up cover up stick as, well, back up. Duh.

How can I misplace something I use so regularly, you ask? Good question. Well, you see, this week has kicked my ass. And then thrown me to the ground, backed over me with a truck, then dragged me back to my feet so my ass could again be kicked. And then pointed and laughed at me as I attempted to recover. I blame the busyness for the fact that I don't have time to sit down at my computer at work to answer emails, the fact that I have returned no phone calls, the fact that I've only put my kid to bed one night out of 4, and the fact that I lost my good cover-up.

So this morning was possibly the first morning all week my child wasn't throwing a tantrum when we needed to leave the house. I actually got to hold his hand as we walked down the stairs, instead of flinging him over my shoulder like I usually did.

Because we were walking, the descent was slow. I caught myself looking at the drainage grate in our condo's parking lot. And see a flesh colored tube sitting next to it.

No freakin' way. It was my cover-up! Which had a huge dent in the top from being run over by a car.

I couldn't help that this tube of cover up was an excellent relfection on my life. It goes through temporary periods of being lost, is totally overused, and has been beat up (or run over by something). And it's sole purpose is to attempt to cover up flaws.

Which is so strange cuz all this time, I thought I was perfect! Oh wait...........

No comments: