So, I'm on Facebook. Duh. Who isn't? And on this social network, I network socially with a lot of other moms of young kids.
Many moms of young kids don't work outside the house full-time (wonder what that's like?!) and have little side businesses. Power to them. Peddling anything from hair styling to photography to candle selling to whatever. Again, power to them. Rock on, stay at home moms. Making some money off of something you love? Nice. Truly, I think it's great.
Unfortunately, this need to sell shit has combined with social networking and created this monster of LIKE ME contests. You know the ones. "Ohhhh, PLEASE vote for my adorable toofuckincuteforwords child in this contest so we win a free photography session with this random photographer (who, no doubt, is a mom of young kids). All you have to do is 'like' the photographer, then like my picture". Ok, I have NO issue with that. At all. Really.
But my Facebook newsfeed has been BOMBARDED with these contests. And these women post some version of the above announcement like 13 times a day. Be it winning photography sessions, makeovers, haircuts, cards, diapers....whatever.
A few years ago, I instated a personal policy: no 'parties'.
Not like no 'woowhoo let's get wasted' parties. I would never turn down one of those.
I mean no purse parties. Or candle parties. Or jewelry parties. Or kitchen utensil parties. Or tupperware parties. Or flipflop parties. Or stamp parties. Or clothing parties. Or any other party where I have to sit through some eager saleslady's pitch about how this perfect product can be broach, hat, and pterodactyl all in one. The last time I went to a clothing party, the saleslady called a pair of jeans magical. Magical jeans? REALLY? Why, did Harry Potter wear them or something? Please.
The shit being sold is so ridiculously overpriced, I just can't stand it. And teachers? They LOVE these little parties. Being a teacher myself, I hang out with other teachers pretty frequently, and I get invitations to these super special oneofakind events from teacher friends ALL the time. I don't go. It's against my policy. My time and money? I'd rather spend them buying tequila for my next 'woowhoo let's get wasted' party.
So, I've been forced to develop a new policy. It's a no voting for shit on Facebook so my Facebook friends can win some contest policy. You want to win shit? Buy a lotto ticket. Or put a dollar in a change machine. I guarantee you'll win 4 quarters EVERY time.
Best of luck to all the eager contestants and I apologize that you will not have my support. I'm too busy creating my next excuse as to why I cannot attend the beadazzled stapler remover party some teacher invited me to.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
I think I might need to instate both your policies in MY life!! And I'm really glad you don't have a no 'woowhoo let's get wasted' policy. That would be sad.
I get so nervous turning down friends who invite me to home parties.
I agree overpriced, and I always feel if I accept an invitation I ought to buy something.
That something is usually out of the budget I wanted to spend and do I really want it.
carol
I was harassed for MONTHS to host a Passion party for an old college friend. I finally gave in. My nerves were shot by the time it came around but I had a pretty good time.
Will I ever host or attend a party of any kind again? Hell to the no. Overpriced and nine times out of ten complete and utter crap.
I'm taking on your policy too. In regards to FB I'll add this: I'm going to continue to deny people's request for Farmville, Cafe Bullshit, Fashion Whores or any other game they try to harass me with.
And I'm a stay at home mom. Who likes to bake cakes. So if you ever need cake...just sayin. Haha. Just messing with you.
I want to give you a bedazzled stapler for this. AND the other shit people pimp on Facebook. Except for my 3 day walk, You're gonna see that once in a while. But I'm not asking you to like it or anything. Promise.
I know someone who it a total home party hoor. She's had, like, six in a year's time. Have you no shame, woman? I would be mortified to send out yet another invitation to a "we'll eat some shitty dips then you'll order tons of crappy food" party. Can't say I've ever been to one with magical jeans though. You win on that one.
Took me a few minutes to place the brooch comment--Airplane, right?! :)
Oy. Should say "who IS a total..."
Post a Comment